Technical Specification (all models):
- Printing Technology – FFF (Fused Filament Fabrication)
- Delivery – Self assembly kit. Assembly guide includes easy to follow videos and online 3D models that can be rotated and zoomed.
- Similar Core concept- All our printers share the same design (electronics, print head, motion etc..) and are based on Modix BIG-60 V3.0.
- Version 3.0 – Version 3.0 was introduced at early 2020. For more information about version 3.0 features, please click here
- Upgrade – New versions are designed with backward compatibility in mind. Owners of Modix’s printers enjoy upgrades from time to time in both configurations and hardware. For upgrading old versions, please check this page.
Printers Comparison Table:
In-depth Technical Specifications
3D Printer Controller
Duet 2 WiFi, a powerful 3D Printer controller made in the UK
- Powerful 32 Bit Processor
- Dedicated Wifi module with external antenna
- Super quiet TMC2660 stepper drivers, up to 256 microstepping.
- High speed uSD card and support for a second external SD card if required.
- Dual extruders on the main board, up to 5 more extruders on the expansion board.
- High Power rating: Each stepper driver is capable of 2.8A motor current, currently limited in software to 2.4A.
- Connect via PC, tablet or smartphone on the same network to the on board web interface.
- Set up your printer and update the firmware through the web interface.
- 7-inch Duet3d touchscreen – integrated with the controller
- WiFi web access for remote control from either mobile or PC allowing users to upload print files directly from their workstation
- SD card slot and USB
- Hiwin MGW9H linear guide rails
- Four Z ball screws for Z axis 12mm diameter, 4mm pitch
- 9 mm width Gates GT2 timing belt, reinforced with fiberglass
- Axis Motors: Motech Nema 17 60mm length MT-1705HS200A
| Holding Torque: 114oz.in (8.2kg.cm) | Current / Phase: 2.00A |
- Position accuracy: X-10 Micron, Y-10 Micron, Z-0.5 Micron
- Print speed – Normal quality 60 mm/sec, Draft 100 mm/sec, Calculated for 0.4 nozzle. Larger nozzles normally print slower but provide parts much faster due to a reduced number of layers (thicker layer = lower resolution = faster results).
- Support both 110V and 230V
- For electronics: Meanwell 24V 280W Power Supply
- Protections: Short / Over-load / Over-voltage / Over-heating.
- No load power consumption<0.5W
- LED indicator for power on
- Aviation grade switches and connectors
- Heat Bed AC powered heater 1370 Watt
- PID bed heater controller by Autonic
Power Distribution Unit (PDU)
PDU is included by default with the BIG-Meter and BIG-180X due to their high power requirements. Since we have found it to be a very convenient cable management solution, it is now offered for all other models. Replace 3 (or 4) AC cables with only one cable connected to the wall.
* This solution does not support BIG-120X running on 110V, please contact sales team for an alternative solution.
- 6.35mm thick, Alcoa Mic6 milled cast aluminum plate, made in the USA.
- AC powered bed heater 1370 Watt. Requires additional independent 15A AC source.
- Dual heating zones. Inner 200X200mm size for small objects and lower power consumption.
- Max temperature – 120oc
- Print surface – PEI film with 3M high temp adhesive sheet.
Removable Magnetic Bed
This add-on will greatly improve the user experience and save you time on a daily basis. Modix’s printers are delivered by default with a PEI sheet that tends to release the print jobs once the bed is cooled done. With the new removable magnetic bed, users do not need to wait or work hard with a spatula and can easily and immediately remove objects after completing the print job by simply bending the spring steel plate.
This add-on includes an adhesive magnetic sheet that should be fixed to the aluminum bed plate and a removable spring steel that should be placed on top of it.
The flexible spring steel plate is printable on both sides. One side is PEI powder coated providing textured bottom surface and the other side is serviced with a standard PEI sheet providing a glossy bottom finish.
Another advantage is the maintenance, the PEI installed on the bed plate can degrade over time. Print removal with a spatula may result in unwanted scratches that later appear at the bottom of the printed object. Replacing the PEI on the removable spring steel or even buying a spare unit is much easier than removing it from the bed plate itself.
Auto Bed Leveling
- BL touch probe as standard
- Probing of bed shape is kept in controller memory and activated before each print.
- Probing mesh: Big60 – 100 points, 120X – 200 points.
Automatic Calibration Expansion
This upgrade improves user experience by automating calibration procedures. Included are automatic print-bed tilt calibration (Z axis) and automatic gantry alignment (X axis). In addition to the standard print bed surface mapping, Modix is now offering a user-friendly fully automated calibration process.
This upgrade is delivered as a new controller box which features an additional electronic board named DUEX-5 expansion board doubling the total amount of stepper drivers from 5 to 10.
By allocating a dedicated driver for each of the Z and X axis motors we get a specific control of each stepper motor, and no longer must be moved unison. This allows to perform a fully automated system calibration routine with the click on a button.
This type of control box is already included with BIG-Meter and BIG-180X and now is offered as an optional upgrade for: BIG-60, BIG-120X, BIG-120Z and BIG-40.
The upgrade includes a fully wired new electronic box with both Duet 2 WiFi controller, Duex-5 expansion board, wires for all motors and an additional X axis end-stop. You may keep your default electronic box as spare / backup.
* Will work only on V3 models.
- Open source Duet RepRap firmware. The leading firmware for 3D printing allowing numerous configurations and easy customization using the macro system.
- One can choose from any available slicer and 3D printer controller including: Slic3r, Cura, and Simplify3d (recommended).
Specific printer configurations are supplied in the customer zone.
- E3D Aero extruder for both primary and secondary extruders.
- Configuration: Main – direct drive, secondary – direct drive.
- Extruder drive gear ratio 3:1 for power and accuracy.
- Nema17 40mm for high power extrusion.
- Adjustable tension idler .
- E3D V6 Volcano high-flow heat block – standard.
Optional E3D V6 for very small items with high details or Super Volcano for high-speed high flow prints, and for printing bulky objects (shown at the photo on the right).
- The 1.75 mm filament diameter is the default, but the end-customer can change it to 3mm filament.
- 0.4, 0.6 & 0.8 mm brass Volcano nozzles.
- Smaller nozzle diameters are available for the standard V6
- Heater cartridge is 24V 40W, max temperature is 285oc by default. Can be converted to a higher temperature of up to 500oc
by end-customer by changing thermistor, if needed.
- Part cooling fan – 5015 blower fan
This add-on is an improvement to the printer’s reliability. The clog detector is provided with a custom highly sensitive encoder capable of detecting for following potential failures:
- Hot-end clogs
- Knots in the filament spools
- Filament run-out
- Under extrusion such as when the nozzle temperature is too low, or the nozzle is too close to the bed.
When a failure is being detected, the printer is paused and print job can be saved. No more discovering your printer printing mid air!
This add-on is provided as a drop-in replacement for the current filament run-out sensor. Consider purchasing two units for dual print head configuration.
* Requires Duet controller, will not work on non-upgraded V2 models.
Add an additional layer of safety in rare cases where the BL-Touch bed leveling probe fails and this failure is not being detected by the printer controller. In this case, the detector will prevent the print head from crashing into the bed plate.
* Requires Duet controller and motion upgrade, will not work on non-upgraded V2 models.
Our printing head supports almost any existing filament including :
PLA, ABS, composites: Carbon fiber, Wood, Copper, Brass, Magnetic, PHA, PVA , Hips, Nylon, TPE & TPU (flexible) Co-Polyester, PETG
Open Filament – Any filament from any vendor can be used.
Filament Run-Out Sensor – The filament run-out detection sensor will pause the print job when the filament has been used up.
Send data sheet & more info: